Monday, November 3, 2014

Prancing Around Paris - Day #1, 2, & 3

Goodbye London, Bonjour Paris!  For those of you who may end up traveling between London and Paris some day, the Chunnel is absolutely brilliant.  The stations in both cities are very central, therefore no long trek out to the airports.  Furthermore, no huge hassle of airport security, etc.  We still had to go through a bit of security, but it was still much easier than an airport!  If you don’t know, the Chunnel is a high speed train that travels underneath the English Channel between England and France.  Ticket prices are very reasonable and seats are comfy!  All around awesome.  

We arrived in Paris on a Thursday afternoon and our only real task for the day was to get settled in our flat, do a little grocery shopping and then go out in the evening.  Our flat in Paris proved to be much nicer than the one in London, and ironically, nearly half the price.  It was in a wonderful location near the Palais Royal Gardens, so we had access to a gorgeous courtyard and fountain area practically in our backyard.  The one thing the flat did NOT have was a lift, and we were on the top floor.  So we were trucking up four or five flights of stairs everyday.  But again, we figured it helped burn off the croissants and macaroons.  :) 

 

On Thursday night Erin had made reservations at a restaurant called Le Perchoir.  Le Perchoir was unbelievably perfect from start to finish.  Because we had dinner reservations, we were allowed access to the rooftop bar, which boasted the most magnificent views of Paris!  We were so excited to be there and we kicked off our stay in Paris with a gorgeous bottle of pink champagne.  After about an hour, we made our way down to the restaurant where we were served a pre-fixed meal of some of the most delightful dishes we have ever eaten.  I was so filled to the brim with bubbles and delicacies that I forgot to write some of the dishes down.  However, I will post pictures of some of the amazingness.  One thing I do remember eating is some kind of noodle in squid ink.  Yes, you heard me right.  Squid ink.  As in, the noodles were black.  When in Rome, right?  Le Perchoir was a PERFECT location for our first night out in Paris and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the city.






Friday morning Erin and I walked to my favorite museum, Musee Rodin.  This is a museum of sculptures, housing my favorite piece of art in all of Paris, “The Kiss.”  Musee Rodin also houses the infamous “Thinker.”  We took our time touring this gorgeous museum and loved every bit of it.  Viewing Rodin’s work in person is absolutely breathtaking.  I think I loved it even more than the first time I went.  I had been to Paris before, for an eight day trip just a few years ago.  I knew I wouldn’t repeat everything I had done in my prior trip, so I told Erin that I would likely chill and read a book in a cafe while she hit some of the main things.  For example, I spent HOURS in the Musee de Orsay and the Louvre when I went in 2011, and I did not feel a huge desire to go back.  I’m sure that would be shocking to some museum lovers, but for me…well, I was good!  :)  So after Rodin, Erin went on to the Musee de Orsay while I found a coffee shop and did some research for my upcoming travels.  At that point, I don’t think I even had places to live in Spain yet!  


That evening Erin and I scoped out some live music in a very interesting venue called Le Caveau des Oubliettes.  What was so interesting about this venue is that it was actually an old cave that used to be a jail cell for prisoners.  The upstairs of the bar just seems like your average dive bar.  However, as you descend into the cave, you feel as though you are entering a scene from another century.  It was very cool and we stayed for a few songs.  


The next day Erin was off to the Louvre, while I went for a much needed pedicure!  This was really fun and the girl who did my toes was such a sweetheart!!  After our separate adventures, Erin and I met back at the apartment for the second half of our day.  We headed to the Sacre-Coeur, an incredible basilica with an even more incredible view.  It sits on the highest point in Paris on a hill in a neighborhood called Montmartre.  This a very cool neighborhood so after touring the Sacre-Coeur, we walked around for a while and then sat at a cafe for some wine.  Here we met two French gents who chatted with us for quite a while.  They were quite fun, but I think one of them was high as a kite.  Ha!  Erin and I finally did that thing girls can do…you know, communicate with our eyes…and I knew it was time to go.  



Off we went for our next wonderful dinner in Paris at an amazing restaurant called Sucree Fleur.  Erin’s sister in law had lived in Paris some years ago and recommended this place as one of the best places for Steak Frites.  As most of you know, I haven’t really been a meat eater for about two years.  However, I decided if there is one place to have a good steak, it’s probably Paris.  SO….I went for it.  And it was honestly divine.  It was one of the best meals I have ever consumed.  The filet came with three different dipping sauces, amazing potato wedges, and accompanied by a nice mixed salad.  If there was going to be a meal on which I broke my meat fast, I’m glad that was it!  So, recommendation number two…Sucree Fleur.  THE BEST!!
I guess I liked it!

The rest of our time in Paris to come in the next blog.  Jusqu’à la prochaine foir mes amours.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment