Monday, January 21, 2013

Owen Plant and Four Brix

I was first introduced to the unique sounds of California musician Owen Plant last summer when I attended a "Concerts in the Cellar" event at Four Brix Winery in Ventura.  I didn't know what to expect, but I am always up for live music and discovering new talent.   Plus, there was wine.  Need I say more?  :)  While the wine was delicious and the setting lovely, exposing my ears to the sounds of Owen Plant's art was the true highlight of the evening.  From the moment this artist sang his first note, I was hooked.  It's amazing how just one man and his guitar can fill your senses.  Owen's music is reminiscent of James Taylor-esque folk blended with a subtle Jamaican sound.  His strong vocals are so rich and pleasant that I wanted to listen forever.  Every track seeped into my soul, some of my favorites including Sink or Swim and Sweet Girl.   While some folks may not include reggae at the top of their list of musical favorites, the reggae influence in Plant's music was illusive enough not to overwhelm.  I am convinced his sound will appeal to everyone.  Owen Plant put on a fantastic show at Four Brix Winery last summer, but to make sure I wasn't just intoxicated by the balmy summer evening and flowing wine, I recently caught another show, this time in the cold winter months.  The result was the same, my musical soul was still warmed by the sounds of this talented artist.  I look forward to following Owen Plant's path and catching more performances in the future. I hope you will add him to your list as a must-see local artist.  Join his mailing list to learn about upcoming gigs. Join Mailing List For my friends outside of California, you can preview and download his music here. Preview and Purchase Music



A little more about the winery.  Four Brix is a unique winery and tasting room, nestled in an industrial section of Ventura. Once you step inside the building, you will find a warm and inviting spot for wine lovers.  They have many wonderful wines to taste, my personal favorite being Zeductive, a beautiful blend of Zinfandel and Petite Sirah.  Other uniquely named wines include Smitten (a Viognier from Santa Ynez), Temptress (a Spanish Rioja style blend of Tempranillo, Mourvedre, and Grenache), and Rhondezvous (a blend of Grenache, Mourvedre, and Syrah). Sexy names for mouth watering wines.  What I especially like about Four Brix is that you get the genuine feeling that the owners love making wine, and even more so, love having you there to hang out and drink it with them!  Four Brix hosts various fun events throughout the year, pairing their love of wine with fantastic food and music. You can join the Four Brix mailing list to learn about exciting year round events. Four Brix Winery

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Makes me want to hear the musician and go to the wine bar.

    ReplyDelete