Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Penthouse at The Huntley

Ok, so I'm not going to lie.  I'm slightly obsessed with a little A Capella group called Pentatonix.

This group won the Sing Off a season or so ago.  (Check out YouTube for a sample of their glorious voices.  I recommend their cover of "Somebody That I Used to Know,"). My friend Darin introduced me to their eargasm inducing sounds last summer (thank you Darin, love you forever!), and since then I've been floating around in A Capella heaven. I've been to one concert already, and I have another coming up in a couple of weeks.  I'll be sure to blog about it!  Anyway, being the hip trendy 34 year old that I am (insert sarcastic lol), I religiously follow the members of Pentatonix on the good ol' Twitter to stay apprised of their performance schedule, musical advice, and, of course, daily eating habits.  You can imagine my utter glee when I was out in Santa Monica with my friend last Friday night and saw on my Twitter feed that a few of the Pentatonix clan were around the corner having drinks at The Penthouse.  The Penthouse is a luxury restaurant and bar atop the Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica.  So, we decided to fangirl it up and hightail it over there to see if we could catch a glimpse of these adorable singers that house the most angelic voices in the world. I love spontaneity and adventures!

The Huntley Hotel is a tall tower on 2nd Street that offers chic accommodations and a top floor restaurant and bar with panoramic views of the city on the East, and gorgeous visions of the Pacific Ocean on the West.  Upon entering the hotel, you will take the elevator to the top floor.  The doors will slide open to a barrage of creamy white leather furniture, a gleaming white marble bar, picturesque chandeliers and candle light everywhere.  A D.J. is spinning tunes, and well dressed Angelinos sipping cocktails can be seen hobnobbing throughout the bar. 



The sad news about this night is that we never spotted the lovely members of Pentatonix.  By the time we arrived at The Penthouse and landed two highly sought after chairs at that heavenly white bar, the musicians with the angelic voices were already at another bar around the corner (according to the trusty Twitter feed).  Stalker mission failed...it's hard to keep up with twenty year olds.  The good news is that we had a lovely time sitting at that bar, sipping champagne, and people watching.  The Penthouse is definitely a place to see and be seen, while many a Westsider is heard guffawing over their latest script being sold.  But truthfully, it isn't so over the top that a single gal from the suburbs felt out of place. Just don't forget your leather collarless jacket.  It is Los Angeles after all.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Stacey, it's sassy and funny like you! I'm a big fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! And the detail put into describing things!! Well done!! Bravo!! You are a superstar!! XO always C-Starr

    ReplyDelete