Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Big Easy is Easy to Love

I can’t believe my two weeks in New Orleans is over!  How did that happen?  Time always goes so much faster than you expect when you are enjoying yourself.  And what a lovely time I’ve had.  I’ve definitely learned a few things during my stay in the Big Easy.  For example, as much as I love to cook and as excited as I am to go home and whip up a cajun inspired meal, I definitely do NOT foresee any shrimp peeling attempts in the near future.  When faced with the task of peeling fresh shrimp for gumbo during my cooking class, my reaction was similar to someone who was about to make their first jump out of a plane. It was really quite embarrassing.  I felt shaky and my heart started to race as I willed myself to reach in the bag, pick up a shrimp and rip its head right off.  Good Lord, what a wimp!  My grandmother would be appalled.  :)

To make matters worse, mid shrimp peeling panic attack, I simultaneously had an allergic reaction on my hands.  It was very intense!  The feeling was reminiscent of the time I tripped in my kitchen a few years ago and landed palm down on a hot burner on the stove.  I’m pretty sure flames were lapping around my fingers.  OWWWW!  Luckily, our dear sioux chef doused my hand in milk and it provided almost immediate relief.  I’m sure the third glass of wine didn’t hurt either.  It was strange though.  I have never had any kind of allergic reaction to eating seafood in the past.  I’m really not sure what happened!  Perhaps my shaking hands (symptom of mini break down) were not primed for proper shrimp peeling and I may have given myself microscopic cuts from the shells.  Whatever it was, from this point on it’s pre-peeled shrimp for this California girl.  Despite the mini nervous breakdown and minor allergic reaction, we still had a wonderful time!  I’m so grateful that my cousin Karen was willing to take the class with me!  We made the most divine shrimp and sausage gumbo, exquisite crawfish étouffée, and magical chocolate chip bread pudding with a mocha brandy sauce!  Who’s coming over for dinner next month? 
  


Another thing I’ve learned is that New Orleans has a very distinct scent.  Of course any city is going to have typical metropolitan odors, but this scent I’m referring to is entirely different and most certainly unique.  To capture the scent in words is difficult, but if I had to describe it I would say it was a mixture of a fresh herb garden and well oiled wood furniture.  Perhaps how you might imagine an antique store might smell.  Although I only visited New Orleans a couple of times as a child, I think that smell was retained in my arsenal of olfactory associations, and now as an adult I recognize it in various parts of the city.  It’s a delightful old timey smell that makes me feel very nostalgic.  I love it.

Another lesson.  New Orleans is hot in the summer time.  And humid.  And hot.

Finally, as much as I have a love hate relationship with social media, I will be forever grateful to Facebook for allowing my family to reestablish relationships with our New Orleans family over the last several years.  Growing up I so desperately wished I had cousins in my every day life.  Our little family in California was so tiny.  Small, but mighty was our motto.  Of course I had the knowledge that I had a slew of cousins in New Orleans, but we just didn’t keep in touch with them and I always felt a little bit sad about that.  I will be forever grateful that Facebook has changed that several years ago.  And I know that no matter the distance, our futures will always be tied together and that fills me with utter joy.  It makes me infinitely happy to get to know these lovely people and see all of their talents and personalities.  Not only is this family of mine in New Orleans gorgeous to look at, but their talents are phenomenal and inspiring.  From artists to comedians to social workers to professors to fire captains.  My love grows in abundance and I have cherished this time with you all so very much.  While I may never visit again in the summertime, you can most definitely bet that I will be visiting again soon. :)  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment