Saturday, July 19, 2014

Gruyere O'Gratin Taters...Hint, it's all about the NUTMEG

Alright, so I was super duper healthy with that Quinoa Tabouleh salad, but I also boarded the decadent train with another dish today.  Luckily, multiple mouths helped consume all the yumminess so calorie intake is in tact (until I hit up the leftovers later...HA!) Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, I took a wonderful cooking class at Cook L.A. (Visit the website here!) and learned killer new dishes, as well as valuable knife, roasting, blanching, and toasting skills!  One of the dishes I learned was Gruyere O'Gratin Potatoes.  For the love of all that is holy....TRUST me when I say this one is a winner.

Here's What You'll Need:

3 Pounds of Potatoes - peeled and thinly sliced (Russet or Idaho work best)
3 Cloves of Garlic - finely minced
Kosher Salt, Black Pepper & Nutmeg - to taste
3/4 Pound Gruyere Cheese - grated (add a second type of cheese for a little variety)
2 Cups Heavy Cream



1.  Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin and even slices.  Making sure they are sliced evenly ensures an evenly baked dish!  Grate the cheese.


2.  Butter a pyrex dish (Either use one 9x13 or two 8x8 dishes).

3.  Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish.  Then sprinkle a handful of gruyere and minced garlic, and season with salt, pepper, and a dusting of nutmeg.  You want the nutmeg to be subtle.


4.  Repeat this process until you run out of potatoes and cheese.  Then pour the heavy cream evenly over the potatoes. 



5.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until done, approximately 50-60 minutes.  Check potatoes with a fork.  Fork should slide into potato easily.  If cheese is getting too brown, but potatoes are not yet done, cover with foil and continue baking.

6.  Remove from oven and allow potatoes to set (15 minutes or so!)  Serve and call me from heaven cuz after one bite of these bad boys, you'll think you've died and gone there!  ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment