Monday, February 18, 2013

Heaven for Thirty Bucks

As I write this, I fully realize some people are simply not the "strip down and let a stranger massage your body" type of person.  I can understand that, and while I hate to think of you missing out on this blissful and health promoting indulgence, I will respectfully say that this blog entry probably isn't for you.  :)  So, I'll see you at the next one.  However, for those of us who absolutely ADORE the delicious jelly-like state that a fantastic massage can induce, I literally had to run home and write about the wonderful discovery I made today!  First, I would like to say I'm somewhat of a massage connoisseur. :)  While I am by no means a world travel, I have visited my fare share of cities in my time.  And I've made it a habit to book a spa treatment in nearly every city I have visited.  I have been rubbed and kneaded at the Waldorf Astoria in New York, I have been brushed and buffed while staring out at the Hubbard Glacier in Alaska, I have been glazed and coddled on the seas of the Caribbean,  and I have been pumiced and stroked in the heart of Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, New Orleans, and our very own Los Angeles.  I have definitely had my fair share of pampering.  It's something I adore, so I save my dollars or work an extra job for this lovely indulgence and I count it as one of my excursions while traveling.  Unfortunately, this type of luxury does not come cheap.  I will never forget paying $210 plus tip at the Waldorf for an extremely sub-par fifty minute massage.  Boo hoo.  Luckily, most of my spa trips have been wonderful, which is why I continue to include them during my travels.  

Not only do I enjoy this extravagance while traveling, but I like to enjoy a massage every now and then here at home, between jaunts!    But as I said before, this can be a pricey past time.  I had a friend introduce me to the Chinese foot massage place on Thousand Oaks Boulevard over the summer and it was o.k.  For $20 you are given a pretty good rub down.  However, my issue with this place is that you are not in a private room.  You are on a lounge chair (think Lazy Boy type recliner) in a rather cramped room with six to eight other lounge chairs.  And these lounge chairs are very likely to be filled with at least two to three other people also being massaged.  I went two or three times and tried my best to block out the fact that there were other people getting massaged all around me.  It was ok (my mind is good at escapism)...until the last time I went.  The man next to me was so relaxed that he quickly fell asleep.  Clearly it was a deep slumber, for said man started snoring, LOUDLY, throughout his entire massage.  The grunting and whistling coming from this man literally sounded like someone was letting out the air of a helium balloon as slowly as possible.  It was so distracting that I simply could not enjoy my massage.  After that, I decided I better stick to nicer day spas, bite the bullet and pay more and go less frequently.  

That is, until today.  Today I was feeling rather achy from a slight increase in exercise and my muscles were begging to be taken to nirvana.  But I only had $40 left in my "fun fund" for the weekend...hmmmm...what to do???  I jumped on the old Yelp (this can be hit and miss, but I gave it a whirl) and found another Chinese massage place on Thousand Oaks Boulevard called 5 Star Body and Foot Massage.  I read in the reviews that they had private rooms, but that the prices were still reasonable.  I was willing to give it a shot.  I jumped on the horn, asked if they had any availability, and was face down on a nice comfy massage table (in my own private room) within twenty minutes.  I asked for the combo massage.  The cost was slightly higher ($30) but OH SO WORTH IT!  This place was a dream.  I was quickly lost in the luxurious feeling of warm oil bearing the faint scent of watermelon, strong skillful hands and absolute bliss.  Rita, my masseuse, incorporated oil and hot stones and did wonders on my back, arms, neck and feet.  I truly felt spoiled for $30.  Of course, a place like this does not come with the perks and frills of a regular day spa.  Certainly no sauna or steam room, no lockers and no citrus infused water coolers hanging about.  However, you are also spending a quarter of the cost and I walked away happy as a clown.  I can honestly say this massage rivaled many massages I've had, for which I've paid double and triple the cost.  If you are a lover of massage as I am, then give 5 Star Body and Foot Massage a try!  ENJOY!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment